Happy Monday, everyone. I hope your week is off to a great start. This week marks my final week of summer before classes start again and while I’m said that my summer vacation is over, I’m glad to be beginning what will be my final semester as a graduate student.
I am a bit stressed out because along with two classes I have to take (online), I will also be balancing my current work schedule with my required field experience which I will be completing with an elementary school librarian/media specialist. But I just met up with my mentor today to discuss my goals for my field experience and scheduling and she is just the best. She went through the same Master’s program that I went through and was very understanding, supportive, and flexible. I’m excited to be under her tutelage.
Anyway, for today’s post, I am here to share with you (finally) what I carry in my everyday work bag. I know this might not seem book-related at all, but I do work in a library…does it seem more relevant now? LOL. Regardless, I promised to do a post like this ages ago.
Tote bags are the most sensible choices for work bags because of their size and since I’m a crazy bag lady, I often switch totes each season.
I recently switched out from my Cuyana Classic Leather Tote in caramel (10/10 would recommend) to my Longchamp Le Pliage Neo in navy. If you’re not familiar with the Longchamp Le Pliage bags, they are well-known for being made of nylon (except for the leather handles and flap) which makes them durable and easy to clean.
*Note: I prefer the bags from the Neo line because the nylon is thicker and they have a monochrome look because the color of the leather matches the entire body of the bag. They are more expensive than the original Le Pliage bags, but well worth the extra money in my opinion, as I find that the original ones show wear much faster if used regularly. These bags are also great for traveling and overnight stays.
What I happened to have in my bag this time around is what I generally carry around every day that I go into work:
- Wallet: Mine is the Kate Spade Cameron Street Adalyn wallet in morning dawn with my monogram in gold. I also switch out wallets each season and generally carry a smaller one in the spring and summer in case I decide to carry around a smaller bag (usually a crossbody). This one is nice and compact but holds everything I need including bills, my work badge, cards, and coins.
- Sunglasses: I never leave the house without sunglasses! The ones I’m currently carrying are by zeroUV and are an amazing dupe for the iconic Karen Walker sunglasses which are out of stock.
- Cosmetic Pouch: I got my large Kate Spade glittery makeup pouch in rose gold ages ago on sale. I only carry the essentials which I will actually use to touch up throughout the day including mascara, eyeliner, an eyebrow pencil, lip gloss, blotting sheets and a compact mirror.
- Water Bottle: I love my 9 oz. S’well bottle so much! I do have one in the 17 oz. size which I also love, but I found the smaller one to be perfect for lugging around on a daily basis. It’s perfect for keeping your drinks cold or hot.
- Toiletries pouch: In my amethyst Longchamp cosmetic pouch I keep any toiletries including feminine products, eye drops, bandaids, a nail file, hand sanitizer and hand lotion. *If you get your nails done a lot or are really rough on your hands, I highly recommend carrying around cuticle oil too!
- Miscellaneous pouch: In my pink Longchamp coin purse I hold some random smallish items such as a purse hook, my name tag for work (which I rarely wear), and a pair of earphones.
- Pencil case: I usually don’t need this, but it just happened to be in my purse that day. I got this super cute library themed Kate Spade pencil case from Barnes & Noble.
- Mini Hair Brush: I also NEVER leave the house without a hair brush! I need it all the time because my hair is very long and thick and gets tangled throughout the day. I only use Wet Brushes because they are excellent and don’t hurt when I pull them through knots.
- E-reader: My Kindle Paperwhite is my actual baby. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again–if I wasn’t a book blogger or bookstagrammer, I’d probably have all of my books on my kindle.
- Library books: I am almost always checking out or returning books to/from work despite having books sent to me on the regular and building my own collection. Most recently, I finished reading The Boys in the Boat (Young Readers adaptation) by Daniel James Brown and it was a brilliant read. It is a new addition to this year’s summer reading list for middle graders in my district, so I picked it up along with some other middle grade reads which you may remember from my recent rapid review post. This one follows the story of the US Men’s Rowing team which competed in the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars!
So that’s everything I’ve been carrying in my work bag recently! I will sometimes switch things out or carry some extra things depending on where I’m going (a friend’s house, out to eat, etc.). I’m surprised my Kate Spade thermal mug isn’t in there! I definitely need it for coffee when I work mornings…
I want to know the crazy things you carry around in your work bag or purse. Are you a hoarder or are you very minimalist? If you are the latter, I’m envious! I’m definitely always lugging around way more than I need. How many books do you carry around on the daily? What kind of bag do you use?
Also, if you’d like for me to do updated versions of these throughout the year, let me know in the comments below.